The objectives of NIHI are to:
- Stimulate, catalyze and facilitate the identification and development of groups, centers and institutes dedicated to Health Informatics research and education.
- Foster and support Health Informatics-related academic and industrial research, development and education at participating organizations with the objective of providing the healthcare system of Canada with competent and capable Health Informatics solutions and professionals.
- Assist in the advancement of the state of Health Informatics education in Canada and to foster academic credibility and professionalism in Health Informatics.
- Facilitate the development, maintenance and renewal of scientific, technological, human and physical resources that will support and improve the health information system of Canada.
- Foster the expansion of the knowledge base in Health Informatics and associated sciences and disciplines in order to enhance the economic well being of Canada and promote a continued high return on the public investment in such research and development.
- Enhance the Health Informatics-related research, development and education profile of Canada globally.
- Exemplify and promote the highest level of scientific and technological integrity, accountability and responsibility in the pursuit of these objectives.